Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Flower To Brighten Your Day (4 of 52)

Hello My Friends,

This week I decided to play some with light painting.  My goal was to light paint a flower in a pot.  Let me tell you, this was easier said than done.  I can create complex machinery all day long in CAD, but ask me to free hand a flower and you would just pat me on my head and say nice try. 

Needless to say, that didn't stop me.  After multiple attemps this was my best flower, so don't laugh too hard.  I do have to say, I had fun with this mini project.  Its actually pretty hard to draw in free air with no feedback to your eyes. 

The setup was pretty basic.  A black sheet (for the background), a pot, a flash light with a push button switch, camera (Nikon D3100 w/ Sigma lens), and tripod. 

I set the camera to ISO 100,  F-stop to 11 (high f-stop number to reduce extra light getting into the frame), and 15 sec exposure. 

Next time I will try to use some color lights, instead of just white. 

Tell next time,
AP

I

5 comments:

  1. Outstanding! I especially like the way you got just the right amount of light on the pot without burning out the traces from the penlight. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, it makes one smile. How many tries did it take?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @BigOwl: Thanks. I light painted the pot as well with the light pen, rather than use a flash or light source.

    @Rich: Thanks. It took me over 2 dozen trys. Originally I was going to do a composite of the flower and then the pot, but light painting the pot came out better than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love light writing. I've only done it with sparklers. This inspires me to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @SMGallman: Its really fun. It is amazing what you can do with a Maglite w/ a push button switch. I find myself, when at the store, always on the look out for new light sources.

    ReplyDelete