Sunday, October 9, 2011

Inner Demons....

Hello my friends

I finally cleared my garage some and setup a little work area for taking photos.  Very happy about this. 

Got to work on two very cool photography projects this weekend.  Let me dive right in...

1.  A buddy of mine at work saw the photos I took of fire and asked if I would take one of a glass skull (empty Crystal Skull Vodka bottle) he had.  Below are the results.  The flame made the skull look blue (no photo editing). 

I used the same basic setup as my 1st fire photo shoot.
  • Tripod
  • Mirror plate (for cool reflections)
  • Lighter fluid
  • Fire extinguisher (so I don't burn the house down)
  • Lighter
  • Camera
Basic camera setting Manual mode:
  • ISO 100
  • Focal Length: 35mm (my prime lens)
  • Aperture: f/1.8 (to let in a lot of light)
  • Shutter speed: 1/320 sec (would of like to have gone a little faster, but did not want to miss with  my ISO to keep a good exposure)




2.  I call this one "Inner Demon".  We all have one.  I was inspired by a photo I saw taken by Evan Sharboneau. I had a lot of fun making this one.  I used Photoshop Elements to create the results.  I used the layer overlay and multiple tool to overlap the images.  I am very happy with the results.  At first I was just going to use a regular pseudo-serious look, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to do this version.



 
 

4 comments:

  1. Clever work. I must admit the flaming skull doesn't do much for me, but I like your "Inner Demons" shot. You should make a 16 x 20 print and put it on your wall at home. When the kids are getting on your nerves, just point to it and say "That's how Daddy is feeling right now".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BigOwl..
    Common on where is your Halloween spirit. You better watch it.. or the Great Pumpkin may not visit you come Halloween... flaming skulls didn't do much for you...ha I say, ha.

    My little one saw the photo "Inner Demon" and didn't like it. She said I should of smiled like I tell her when I take her pictures.

    Thanks for stopping by. AP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on "Inner demon" the fact that you left your mouth split open makes the image very disturbing, no mistaking it for inner sunshine.

    I like the way you have set up your blog how hard was it to set up? I'm using zenphoto now for my blog and it has pointlessly complicated interface it's time to move on.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rich. Thanks. I originally took the picture intending to use a more serious face, but when I looked at the photos of my hands covering my face, I thought... you don't cover up your face because your serious, you cover-up because your are sad, frustrated, angry, etc... even if you don't show it.
    Changed by entire results, and I am very pleased with it.

    On the blog: Blogger is very straight forward and easy to setup and maintain. It interfaces with Picasa Web album seamlessly, as well as, external loaded albums and files. I have been very pleased with my experience on the site and would recommend you give it a try. I should disclose that this is my first blog, so I don't know how it compares to other blog sites.

    Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

    AP

    ReplyDelete