Sunday, October 2, 2011

Waste Land, Fairies, and a Festival

Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well.  I have a few for this weekend. 

  • Well I finally got a camera into Pick-n-Pull (one of my favorite spots).  It was my canon powershot and not my dslr.  The only plus is I added a hack to my canon to allow me to save the images in RAW format (aka  digital negatives).  Shooting RAW allows me to adjust the images a bit more than I could with JPEG.  I could not control the camera settings that much, but here are two that I liked. 




  • I was inspired by a friend of my on levitation photos this pass week.  He had a donut floating on a table that look pretty neat, so I thought I give it a try.  I got my kiddos involved in this one.  They had a blast, and so did I.  I am happy with the results.  Also attached are photos of my two fairies. 
    • Here is the general process for those who are interested.  Take a photo of the background with out your subjects.  Take a photo with your subject in the frame.  In this case my girls were laying on some outdoor footrests.  Merge photos using layer in a program like photoshop elements and use the masking tool to remove the footrests.  Insint backyard fairies.


  • The last one for today is a portrait style shot of my girls at the Little Flower festival.  That's the festival in the background.  I wanted a blurred background so I set the f-stop to 2.8.  I also bumped up the shutter speed as high as I could without effecting exposure (1/640sec).  I have learned from shooting my girls that they move fast so I need to capture the shoot at a high shutter speed to avoid blur motion. 


Thanks for looking...AP

1 comment:

  1. Bravo on all shots! The sepia tone for Pick&Pull is very effective. I like the first one (wheels/tires) best. And thanks for the tip on levitation. Your models must have had a blast doing that project. Keep the new ideas coming.

    You've inspired me to post some of my stuff on my fledgling blog.

    ReplyDelete