Sunday, October 23, 2011

Self Portrait

This one has some personal significance too me. 

In general, I tend to be the shooter (the photographer) and rarely in many photos, especially with my family and friends.  I don't mind really (maybe I do a little), but every once in a while I like to make a rare appearance. 

Mainly because one day, when my kids are grown up, I would like to pull the old photo book out.... okay okay... old iPad out and say.... look that's me.. I was not always old. 

In that effort, I took a self portrait, a little vain... yes... but it was for science (experience) sake.

I decided to go with B&W, I just like B&W photos better.  Maybe next time I will smile more. 

Here is the result.
Lighting in my garage was challenging, even with a external flash. 

Settings
ISO = 100
Local Length = 55
F-Stop = f/11
Shutter Speed 1/30sec
External Speedlight to left (Photographer propestive)
Black sheet as background



5 comments:

  1. Nice portrait. You even got the required light spots in the eyes. I heard somewhere that "B/W reveals the person; color only shows the clothes." or something like that.
    If you are really brave you can keep that set-up and repeat the shot each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BigOwl. I really like the idea of a yearly shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with BigOwl, nice work. Here is a suggestion that might make the shot even stronger. Lighten the image about 5-10% and then tone it a little just a touch just enough that you think its pure B&W until you really look at it.

    Photographer some times refer to themselves at the model of last resort. We can't always convince the family to play along with dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rich: Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to try that next time. "Model of Last Resort"..isn't that the truth. Did you ever start a blog here on Blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still planning to set up a blog. The last week I spent cleaning up my website the were some things needed fixing and I also posted some new photos. Now I'm stuck on picking a name--I always do that It took me two weeks to pick the name for my site.

    ReplyDelete