Sunday, September 25, 2011

Watching time pass by...

Its been a good learning weekend for me.  I had a chance to get out late yesterday to play with time exposures.  The results are below. 

Over the past month or so, I have been scouting spots to take long exposure shots of streets/roads/highways.  I wanted to capture the lights and colors of cars driving by at night. 

I settled on the roof level of the North Star mall parking lot, adjacent to 410.  Below are some of my better results. 

I experimented with different shutter speed settings ranging from 1/2sec to 10sec.

Setup:  Top of North Star Mall parking garage, tripod, camera, and remote trigger (to reduce trigger vibrations).

Setting for these images. 
Mode: Manual
Aperture: f/8, F/9, and F/3.2 respectively
Shutter Speed: 3sec (all)
ISO: 100 (all)
Focal Length: 35mm on DX sensor. (~50mm on full frame camera)

Notes:  Exposure was less of an issue in this session due to the long exposure time.  (Plenty of time for the sensor to gather light.)

Artistic notes: I love this perspective time.   















2 comments:

  1. Interesting results. Next time, try panning with the vehicles to keep one or more of them in focus while streaking the stationary lights. Not easy to do. My attempts have not produced anything worth sharing.

    Good work. Keep the inventive ideas coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BigOwl. I will have to try your suggestion next time. Spotted a garage near I-10, I will have to attempted it again soon. AP

    ReplyDelete